Microsoft has published Windows 11 Build 22504 for testers in the Dev Channel. This release comes with a couple of minor improvements, but there are no new exciting features that you won’t find in the production build. With today’s update, Microsoft is introducing a new personalization experience, one new keyboard shortcut and more.
The update is titled “Windows 11 Insider Preview 22504 (rs_prerelease)” and users can download it by joining the Dev Channel. As Microsoft has stated in past, these builds and improvements are not tied to a specific release, so we don’t know if the improvements highlighted here will ship with Windows 11 version 22H2.
In the Dev Channel, builds will be released with new features or minor improvements, but those improvements will not have a release date for consumers. Microsoft says it will release new features for existing Windows 11 version 21H2 when they’re ready, and they can be delivered as full OS updates or service releases.
It’s also worth pointing out that your device can’t be downgraded to the Beta, Release Preview or production Channel if you install Dev Channel updates like Build 22504. To go back to the stable release, you will need to do a clean install using Windows 11 ISO images.
New features in Windows 11 Build 22504
Starting with Build 22504, it is now possible to apply the pre-installed virtual keyboard themes to other input experiences, such as the emoji panel and voice typing. As you can see in the below screenshots, Windows 11’s emoji panel and voice typing popup can now use the themes available via personalization settings.
This is part of Windows 11’s new theme engine that allows users to create their own themes using background images. This isn’t available to everyone, but some can find all new controls under the new “Text Input” section under Settings > Personalization.
The new emoji panel is also getting support for new emojis based on the face and skin tones of family members. You can open the emoji panel and try Windows 11’s new style by searching for keywords like family, couple, holding hands, or kissing.
Finally, there’s a new keyboard shortcut that lets you toggle the new mute feature added in the previous release. At the moment, it works with Microsoft Teams only, but WIN + Alt + K keyboard shortcut or taskbar mute button will also support third-party apps in future.
Windows 11 Build 22504 also comes with these improvements:
- Microsoft is improving the search quality of emoji in Portuguese and Polish.
- Microsoft is introducing .NET Framework 4.8.1 which is the latest .NET Framework and it includes support for ARM64.
- Microsoft has removed the alerts for microphone access when it has been restricted in privacy settings.
- The touch indicator would be turned off by default under Settings > Accessibility > Mouse pointer and touch on new installs.
- On small devices with 11-inch screen and under, apps will now launch maximized by default if you use the device in the tablet posture.
How to install Windows 11 Build 22504
To install Windows 11 Build 22504, try these steps:
- Switch to the Dev Channel or join the Insider program, and then select the channel.
- Check for updates.
- In most cases, Build will start downloading automatically.
- Click on Install/download” followed by “restart now” to finish the installation.
Known issues in Windows 11 Build 22504
Microsoft is currently aware of these issues:
- Windows Updates installation can fail with error 0x80070002. If you are experiencing issues with Windows Update, reboot your PC and try again.
- Blue Screen of Death (the black screen has been replaced with blue): Error code 0xc1900101-0x4001c when installing the build. Pause updates if you run into system crashes.
In addition to the preview update, Microsoft has also released a new Your Phone app for Windows 11.
The post Windows 11 Build 22504 released with new personalization features appeared first on Windows Latest
This post has been read 17 times!